Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a majority shareholder force a minority shareholder to…

Customer Question
Can a majority shareholder...

Can a majority shareholder force a minority shareholder to sell shares in a Nevada corporation? What remedies do minority shareholders have to prevent this action?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
Business Lawyer: DrakeLAW, Attorney replied 5 months ago
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

No, you can never be forced to sell your shares. In fact, the majority shareholder usually has a fiduciary duty to minority shareholders.

On what basis, is the majority shareholder claiming to have the right to force the minority share sale?

I believe they think they have the right to do so. Majority owner has a major gold find in Arizona, Wants to be the sole beneficiary.
Plans to offer an unreasonable price per share.

Well they don't. Is there a written Shareholder Agreement?

I am not sure. Major gold find in Arizona. Majority stockholder in public company wants to be the sole beneficiary. No stock holder meeting in 2 years. Keeping tight lipped about findings and results. Not transparent no leaking of information. I am just hearing rumors

Alright, well absent some provisions in an agreement, you cannot be forced to sell.

If you want to demand answers you can through the Board or officers.