Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am trying to terminate a contract. I am a prime contarctor…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to terminate a contract. I am a prime contarctor and retained the services of a sub contractor.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A delay notice has been filed against me, and I verbally told my sub that I need them to start the project immediately, however I have not even provided the deposit to start the work as they said they could not start until 1st or 2nd week in February.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not yet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
1/17/2018
Business Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me try to assist.

I am certain that you agreement with the subcontractor gives you the right to terminate for delay and failure to perform. I assume your agreement with the sub had a time frame to start and complete the job. Be sure to check the language for termination and send a demand letter to the subcontractor terminating him and throwing him off the job. He is hurting your job and holding you up.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Please be sure to accept my response and post a positive rating.