Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My case was ended with following info on Docket 11/15/2016.

"Praecipe to discontinue without prejudice...
My case was ended with following info on Docket 11/15/2016. "Praecipe to discontinue without prejudice filed . EO csae marked discontinued with service on 11/15/2016.". Was my lawyer allowed to refile against plaintiff. If he was should of he told me he was allowed to refile?
1/16/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello Let me see if I can assist you. Yes, your lawyer should have told you about the court's ruling and the dismissal without prejudice. Depending on the reasons for the judge's ruling you may or may not be able to refile in the same action or in a separate action.

Hope that helps.

Please be sure to accept my response.

Was it the judge who made the ruling? How do you find out if it was the judges's ruling? My lawyer did not explain this to me. Thank you

I can't tell just from the docket entry. Is there an attachment for that docket entry? Or is a clerk entry? If your lawyer did not explain - you can ask the court clerk. Has the case been closed by the court clerk?

Lori
Lori, Attorney