Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

There was a damage claim that was paid to my neighbors by…

There was a damage claim...
There was a damage claim that was paid to my neighbors by the city. After I returned from France several week later, damage was found to my property. The city will not pay my claim. If there is doubt that my claim against the city may be a conflict of interest as many in this claim are paid by the city. Can I have the case set to another town within the nearest jurisdiction, and if so, how would that be done?
1/16/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney

Under Montana law, you can bring it to the state court in Montana, which should be impartial to the town you are in, or you can go to federal court, where the judges are not appointed by the governor but are in the federal system.

Also, the fact that the city paid your neighbor's claim is very strong evidence in your favor that the city caused the damage and is liable. If they admitted fault in your neighbor's case, and the facts are similar, that is damaging evidence to convince the judge that the city is at fault and should pay you too.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney