Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a Town Home in my sons and my name, and another in my…

Hello, I have a Town...
Hello, I have a Town Home in my sons and my name, and another in my husband and my name. We would like to rent them out under a common LLC which I plan to open. I would like to know the benefits of having this LLC for renting the two THs and also is it OK to have this single LLC with THs under partly different names. Thanks
1/15/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

As a general rule, you would want each property in its own LLC. This will avoid any cross liability if there is a claim against one of the LLC's.

In other words, if someone slips and falls in one TH, you do not want the other TH exposed to liability for the claim arising from the other TH.

Otherwise, LLC's are an excellent means of ownership for income producing real estate.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you please let me know two biggest benefits of having an LLC for a rental property. however it is more helpful over managing without llc thanks

The benefit is that it shields you from personal liability for claims against the LLC.

It is a pass through entity, so it is not a taxed entity. It is also more flexible than an s corp.

Loren, Attorney

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Loren, Attorney