Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am filing a new business LLC in Texas. I just did an

assumed name search through the...
I am filing a new business LLC in Texas. I just did an assumed name search through the Texas Secretary of State website and it has not been taken. What steps do I need to create this entity?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. First, you want to file a Certificate of Formation with the Secretary of State. You can do this on line at the Secretary of State website: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/Corp/sosda/index.shtml. Second, you will want to prepare an Operating Agreement setting forth the terms and conditions of your LLC operations..such as purpose, contributions, allocations of income and loss, distribution of cash, management, voting rights, and rights to transfer interests. Third, you will need to obtain an EIN (i.e., Taxpayer Identification Number) from the IRS. You can do this on line in about 10 minutes for no charge at the following IRS website: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)-Online.

Do I need to file an application for reservation of an entity name through the Texas Secretary of State website?

No....because you can simply file the Certificate of Formation. It will get filed and preserve the name for you.

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.