Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a president of a non profit club change our bylaws

Customer Question
Can a president of...

Can a president of a non profit club change our bylaws without a meeting of club members

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

Az

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Our old bylaws have been. new ones we don,t know what he has done

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just can he do this without the club voting on these new bylaws

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Business Law
1/13/2018
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The bylaws have to have a clause about amending the bylaws, what do they say the process is? According to the law, the bylaws can only be changed by the process outlined in the bylaws OR by vote of 2/3 of the members present. So one person cannot just change bylaws, that would be an unlawful change and would be void.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.