Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a client in Orlando Florida, he has a company already…

I have a client in...
I have a client in Orlando Florida, he has a company already and we would like to get all the permits/licenses so he can work on a contract installing floors. what is all the documents, licenses or permits we need? also, what is the insurance we need for him?Can you give me step by step and estimate cost?
1/12/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me try to assist.

You will also need a county business license to operate in Orange County (steps and cost): http://www.octaxcol.com/business-tax-receipts/

For just tile installation (no structural changes), you do not need a Dept of Professional Regulation license with the state.

You will need general liability and worker' comp insurance (if employees).

Not sure how much for cost for each -check with your ins. agent.

Hope that helps.

Please remember to accept my responses and post a positive rating.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as I see you opted out your previous contributor.

So you and I have no misunderstandings, specifically what other information would you like for me to provide?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This cliente wants to operate in construction such as installing floors etc. Nothing major. Should we get a local business tax receipt? what is exactly that we need to apply?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we apply using a residential address or we need a commercial address? what kind insurance should we get?

You have to file for a tax certificate, because you need to pay sales taxes and you apply at the County Clerk's office.

You do NOT need a contractor's license if all he is doing is flooring work and not doing any structural work as the State of FL does not require it for that type of work. See: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/division/servicesthatrequirealicense_construction.html

Orlando (Orange County), unlike some other counties in FL, does not require a flooring contractor license.

You can use a residential address for his business. He should file for an S Corporation with the FL Secretary of State, http://dos.myflorida.com/sunbiz/forms/corporations/

Once he has his S corporation he would then file for an IRS Tax ID http://www.irs.gov, called an EIN.

Then he would go register with Orange County Clerk for his Tax Certificate.

He should have at least a one million dollar insurance bond for work and damage that may be caused on property he is working on. Depending on the size of his projects he is working on that may require him to go up to a 5 million dollar bond (if he is doing large commercial projects).

Also, he will require workers compensation insurance for all his employees pursuant to state law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has a LLC. And he is international we can not file for S Corp.

Thank you for your reply.

I was not aware he was an international, so yes, no S-corp is allowed, C-corp or LLC and LLC is fine for this type of business.

If he has an LLC, that is all he needs along with registering with the County and getting his insurance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you my friend. I am so sorry I still working on how to post the questions better. I appreacite
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
My friend, so just to recap on this question. Can he use or virtual office in Orlando and get the You will also need a county business license to operate in Orange County (steps and cost): http://www.octaxcol.com/business-tax-receipts/ using his residential address? or can he get a local tax receipt from miami and operate in orlando? works compensation will be applied to both business partners correct?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I apologize, I was typing on the computer and didn't pay attention disregard previous message. So he should get a county business license to operate in Orange County (steps and cost): http://www.octaxcol.com/business-tax-receipts/ using his residential address? or can he get a
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Could he get a local business tax from miami and operate all florida? would I have to file a local business tax in each county?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
tax emcemption would be filed fot both members on the company so we convered on that correct?

Thank you for your reply.

He needs to go to the county clerk's office in Orange County they will give him the form and calculate his costs depending on his business.

No, he will need a local business permit in each county he works in that requires one, not all FL counties require them.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney