Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I need to find out the legal obligation of a bookkeeper for…

Customer Question
I need to find...

I need to find out the legal obligation of a bookkeeper for handing over a copy of my accounting program data not paper work only the copy of my QB data

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

This is only a question

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2018
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Are you talking about turning it over to the client? Please explain?

but I have already turned over all the General Ledgers,documents,bank statements, etc. I do not usually turn over a copy of my computer data program they decided to change companies and they want my copy of Quick books files that I did the accounting on I own the accounting software they do not. Do I legal have to give them a backup copy ?

Thank you for your reply.

If you have been paid for your work, then the QB files would be part of the client records they are entitled to receive. However, the law is silent as to whether they are entitled to the computer file or just a spreadsheet printout from the file and that is up to the individual bookkeeper. The laws do not say you must turn over the computer file and as you know if the other bookkeeper does not have the same version of QB they likely cannot open it anyhow. All the law says is if you were paid you need to turn over copies of all of the client records, which arguably includes at least the data from the QB files. The QB files is your work product that the client paid you for.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.