Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a question about corporate law. I am 50% shareholder…

I have a question...

I have a question about corporate law. I am 50% shareholder in an s corporation. My budiness partner spends half of the year abroad. He is currently out of the country. Our business is no longer solvent. We can't pay our salaries or $30000 debt. I think we should dissolve our corporation and return the merchandise to our debtor. My partner neither wants to dissolve the budiness nor take over my shares. He is demanding I work for free to pay off the debt. He has told me in email he disagrees with contacting our debtor to arrange return of merchandise. Do I have the legal right as 50% shareholder currently running our business to return our merchandise to get rid of this debt?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We are in ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How do I get out of corporation if my partner does not want to dissolve or agree to take over my shares?

1/8/2018
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Your quandary is not unusual when there are two owners of a corporation with equal shares. Equal ownership means that, basically, both owners have to agree on all the action. Possibly, the only way out of this is if one of the owners gives discretion to the other owner. So, if an owner is telling the other owner to run the business, then the other owner could make a decision to sell assets and pay debts. Now, to sell all the assets and closing the business without the other owner's consent could be an issue also.

In any event, it appears that your goal to sell all of the assets, pay the debt and dissolve the company. If so, there is a way to do it. Unfortunately, though, it would be a court proceeding called a judicial dissolution since the other owner disagrees. Judicial dissolution is.

See:

2015 New York Laws
BSC - Business Corporation
Article 11 - (Business Corporation) JUDICIAL DISSOLUTION
1103 - Shareholders' petition for judicial dissolution.

I know the news is not that great but it is better to know what could happen. We can continue our discussion. If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Also, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you if you are satisfied with the service I am providing. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Thank you for your response. He has explicitly said he disagrees with me returning merchandise or contact our debtor. Both actions would be illegal. Do I understand this correctly? What does judicial dissolution entail?

You are welcome. Yes. You do although illegal is a criminal term and not used in the case.

Unfortunately, the only way to dissolve a corporation when the other 50% owner will not do it is the petition the court for a judicial dissolution. In other words, the court will issue an order dissolving the corporation after possibly a hearing on it.

I know this is not the greatest news for you, but that is what must be done if you want to dissolve it.

We can continue to discuss this if you want to do so. Just let me know.

Here is some more information:

BCL Article 11 governs judicial dissolution. Section 1104 authorizes a 50% shareholder to seek a court order dissolving the corporation based on director deadlock, shareholder deadlock and “internal dissension”. Section 1104-a authorizes a 20% or greater shareholder to seek judicial dissolution where those in control have engaged in illegal, fraudulent or oppressive conduct or have looted, wasted or diverted corporate assets.

DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney
Do i need an attorney to file for judicial dissolution?
Phone call session started
I am on the line but not hearing anything

I am trying again...