Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

If I have a similar business name with another company can…

Customer Question
If I have a...

If I have a similar business name with another company can they sue me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No They contacted me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ni

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My business name is ***** ***** waste & recycling LLC.The other business is valet waste LLC
The contacted me to change my name and give me a deadline to do so or they will take legal action.
1/6/2018
Business Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. I will try to assist you. Was your company doing business first? Are both incorporated in the state of Florida?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They were first
Yes in the state of frorida

I am assuming neither of you hold a trademark to the name "valet waste" on the federal level with the USPTO. so we need to look at trademark common law rights. Trademark common law rights attach to a trademark once the trademark is associated with any goods/services in a geographical area. Thus, a business that does not register its trademark can still have first priority on the name in the geographic area in which it sells its goods/services as long as it was the first to establish common law trademark rights to the name.

the next issue -- is it creating confusion in the marketplace? are you both operating in the same geographic area?

I just looked them up - Valet Waste, LLC is inactive; they changed their name. They are not actively using that name. Therefore, there is no competition in the marketplace. Company called Valet Waste and Recycling Services, LLC is also inactive.

There are 2 fictitious companies using Valet Waste in their name:

http://dos.sunbiz.org/scripts/ficregl.exe

however, those 2 companies are not in the Orlando area. therefore, I would argue that there is no confusion in your geographical area - Orlando - so no infringement.

Hope that helps.

Please be sure to accept my responses and post a positive rating.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney