Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Is there any way around having to be a licensed broker in…

Customer Question
Is there any way around...
Is there any way around having to be a licensed broker in order to receive a referral fee?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
1/4/2018
Business Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Ely, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

This depends. What state, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any state, I work for a lead generation company and we have found out a way to generate real estate leads and are asking for a 20% referral on the back end. But we see there is a lot of legal logistics behind this, so we want to make sure we do not break any laws.

Every state has different laws about referral fees re: realtors. Some allow it; some do not; some allow it but only in limited circumstances. So we are talking about a potential research project of 50 states.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or even just certain states. So what state allows it then? And if it is allowed, does RESPA override?

Hmm... I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck.

Infolawyer, Attorney