Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am the president of a small 501c3 corporation called

Hearts for Life Inc. We...
I am the president of a small 501c3 corporation called Hearts for Life Inc. We distribute a Spiritual Adoption Brochure(a form of a Prayer).I have attached an online copy of the brochure.We are recently adding a new item to our corporation called the "Prayer for Deliverance from Evil". I need to know if this Prayer falls under our Exempt Purpose of our Hearts for Life corporation.I have researched it myself(shown below) and I think it does.My sister who is a CPA also thinks it does but I would also like to ask a lawyer(now you!) .I contacted the attorney who helped us form this corporation to ask him but he said he is no longer in this area of the law and so I need to ask another lawyer.I have attached an online copy of the "Prayer for Deliverance from Evil".Below is my reasoning: Here is the Purpose of our corporation(code of By-Laws ,article 2, Purposes) Section 2.1 Purposes: The purposes of the Corporation are: a)To promote and support the protection of unborn children, pro-life activities and the sanctity of life at all stages,and b) to perform any activities which nonprofit corporations are authorized to perform under the Nonprofit Corporation Act of 1991, as amended (the "act"). The Prayer for Deliverance from Evil does pray for an end to abortion(part a-purposes): From sins against the life of man from its very beginning, deliver us. Also, the Prayer prays against sin,evil, and suffering.All of which involve abortion. Lastly, It seems as though (b) on purposes is so open ended as to include anything that a Non-Profit corporation can perform(certainly we would be authorized to distribute prayers). This is my research and my thinking. I now want to ask you: Do you say that the "Prayer for Deliverance from Evil" falls under our Exempt Purposes of our corporation? Please let me know. I also would be happy to pay you for your time and effort spent to answer my question. Thank you!
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2018
Infolawyer, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.
On consideration of your purpose and the proposed addition I see no issue. The IRS views the stated purpose broadly and your prayer would appear to fall within the purpose and your discretion in its operation. No need to amend the articles of organization.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy new year! Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
can you give me a definite "yes" the "Prayer for Deliverance from Evil" does fall under our exempt purpose?
I don't want to call you, I think you have enough information,I would just have a definite "yes" to this question.
Sure. Yes, it does.
This is fine! Thank you very much! I haven't been told , can I ask if you have experience working with 501c3 corporations?
I do. Have formed and counseled such clients.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy new year!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Infolawyer, Attorney