Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I own a franchise that cleans bbq's on Island. We use

Customer Question
I own a franchise that...
I own a franchise that cleans bbq's on Long Island. We use different suppliers online for parts. Many of the suppliers allow us to return parts that we don't use. They either issue a credit or a full refund.This one supplier I have used is called bbqparts.com. There parts are very reasonable and their return policy is a full refund.
On Nov 27th. I sent back unused parts for a return of $252.00. I got an email stating that the refund has been issued. About a week to 10 days later I send an email inquiring about the refund that they said was issued. I got a very curt reply from their customer service with a long drawn out reason that is was the Thanksgiving holiday and my bank is holding the money and thats what banks do and they don't want to return it. And I should know this and not to ask on a holiday etc.. I waited another week and they said their processor had initiated it my bank was holding it. So I simply I asked for the name of the processor? They said they will not give me the name of their processor, they specifically sent and an email saying "No, we will not give you the name of the processor". ( I have the email, it has a very condescending tone) So I asked agin a few days ago about a month after the 1st conversation. I got an email from them that they would look into in today, the first day after the holiday. Below is the email I got from them. I don't think Im going to get the refund from them, but Im from NY and I know a good bullshit story when I hear it! And I don't want these bastards to get away with this. Look at the way its written. I have seen online reviews on this company where that their customer service is writes back in this 'childish" manner. I have asked them to please send me a check or give a credit and now they are telling to get lost! I knew it my gut from the 1st conversation with these guys that they were screwing me around and I will never get a return. Is there anything I can do? This is negligent behavior. Problem is I am out of state. They are in Florida.
Thank you.Ok, here goes. We have pulled all the paperwork on this refund.....again.
We verified in our accounting the day of the refund that the refund was processed, the amount deducted from our daily deposit.
The processing company has a safeguard in their system to prevent fradulent refunds. So no refunds are accepted for more than the amount of the original purchase. Otherwise, staff, employees, or hackers could go into the processing and attempt a 1,000 refund and get it. This is not possible without a 1,000 sale to that card.
This morning, we attemped another 252.00 refund to our processor. The refund was rejected with the statement that the merchant does not allow transaction based credits greater than the original transaction amount.
So the transaction already has a 252.00 refund posted - it won't accept another one.
All is square at our end. So, if a refund has not been received, the problem is at your end.
In doing all this research, we find shipments to different addresses on your account and different credit cards being used. This does not seem right. Also, when we look at your website, we do not find a physical address for your company.
You may be happy doing business with us but we are not happy, or comfortable, doing business with you.
So we accept your suggestion of not ordering from us.
Thank you,
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Business Law
1/2/2018
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Have you considered small claims court?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im out of state?

Over a small amount such as this, hiring a lawyer would not make sense. small claims is geared for such matters but since out of state, the cost of travel would also not make it worthwhile. another option is to threaten court and try to settle in the middle, since for them they will want to avoid court and costs. Yet another option is threat or complaint to the BBB and attorney general office and let them try to collect for free.

I hope my reply is fast and acceptable. Kindly let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I figured that already, what about the FTC?

That is another option, although the agency usually wont intervene and direct you to the options I mentioned.

Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Infolawyer, Attorney