Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I entered into a contract with my ex-wife to purchase a

house that I lost to...
I entered into a contract with my ex-wife to purchase a house that I lost to her in the divorce. I am to make monthly payments of $350.00 for 74 months or I can pay off at anytime. I have been making house payments since 9/2014. Never been late and never had a problem. I have not lived in the house since August since I am remarried and I never had a problem with her on the house. I still have some personal items in the house, I keep some lights on all the time, check on it weekly, the utilities are in my name along with the house insurance. I have put some money into the house to get it ready to put it on the market next year. Now that I am ready to put it on the market, I have a problem. I called today and told her I wanted to meet with her to give her the final payment and to get the paperwork. When I called her today to tell her, she stated "I don't think so" and hung up on me. I believe she has changed her mind on the contract. I am not going to send her the check , I want to give it her in person to make sure I get the title. So What do I need to do now?
I am attaching the contract.
12/28/2017
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you today. I recommend that you tender the final payment and demand the deed. If she will meet with you in person, I would have a quitclaim deed with you for her to sign. If she does not transfer title to you, you will need to sue her for specific performance - to enforce the terms of the agreement and have the court order her t transfer title to you.

Can you give a simple letter to send to her to request a meeting to pay her? I figure if I send one, she will not sign for it. If that is the case, what is next?

You can send a email to her requesting a meeting to complete the contract. that you have final payment for her in exchange for a deed. If she fails to respond, I recommend that you send a letter by overnight mail (no signature required), mailing her the final check and demanding her execution and delivery of the deed to you. If she fails to do, you will take all legal steps to enforce the contract including suing her for specific performance. You can track delivery which you will use as proof of payment in court.

Unfortunately, the drafting of documents is beyond the scope of this site. However, I think you letter along the lines I outlined above will get the job done.

Lori
Lori, Attorney