Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Would bankruptcy be a good solution to halt a suing opponent…

Would bankruptcy be a good...
Would bankruptcy be a good solution to halt a suing opponent from trying to pierce the corporate veil against my LLC? Yes my company really is bankrupt, only I havent had money to even file until recently.
12/25/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney
It creates a stay. It would apply as to the filing entity only. The only down side is the cost and time if entity defunct anyway.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
Infolawyer, Attorney
More info: Two years ago I dissolved one LLC to get out of a default judgement I didnt show up for, and they sued my new LLC and won a new judgement this year under Successor Liability. I only want to get out of this business and never have to pay anything since I never made a profit. I am currently being subpoena's to provide banking records of my LLC's.
It sounds like you are saying that the cost of the bankruptcy will be alot? Im not sure what you meant. In comparison, the default judgement was 10,000 and the attorney has added on $6000 attorneys fees this year. The funny thing is I have never had 10,000 saved up in my life. Im extremely poor have little accets and never even bought my first home at 53.
I have questions about your answer it doesnt seem complete but I can rate it a 3 star, Id like to give a 5 star but id need more information about what you meant. Like does bankruptcy for an LLC, are you implying that it is expensive and probably not worth it when the company is defunct anyways? If so what about when they are about to collect a debt against me personally for alot of money?
if they succeeding in piercing the corporate veil, (then they would be granted a judgement against me personally I meant)
Well I think you may not have given full contemplation to my situation. I think that my opponent's ensuing attorney could still force me to provide banking documents with his subpoena in spite of my LLC filing for bankruptcy protection. I hate to give a poor rating but I have to be honest, although I appreciate your time responding I think further consideration is needed fro 5 stars. Please respond soon so I can submit a good rating.
I don' t think it would "stay" anything if the ensuing attorney is trying to serve me a subpoena to provide banking statements in order to pierce the corporate veil would it?
Infolawyer, Attorney