Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My primary question is can a consultant that is not a

Customer Question
general or sub contractor legally...
My primary question is can a consultant that is not a general or sub contractor legally file a lien on property for non payment of fees owed per our contract?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/20/2017
Business Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Ely, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry, but no. Mechanic/contractor liens are available for for mechanics and contractors only; not consultants. Unless the property was PROMISED as a collateral, one cannot file a lien. If the property was promised as collateral, one can file a UCC-1 statement, which acts like a lien, although strictly it is not.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.