Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have won my Breach of Contract, but my attorney had to…

Customer Question
Hello! I have won my Breach...
Hello!
I have won my Breach of Contract, but my attorney had to withdraw due to health reasons and I couldn't prove Fraud at Trial. I've never even seen a trial so inexperience got me.
Anyway, the Defendants stole $15,675.00 from my credit card at 22.24% interest in November 2011. They managed to delay this case for 24 months with a failed bankruptcy and health delays etc. After trial, they filed a Motion for Abusive Litigation and claimed that I owed them $18,000 for harassing them. In a hearing last week the Judge ruled against them and stated, "The Court further finds Defendants failed to establish Plaintiff brought the fraud claim without substantial justification or to primarily delay or harass Defendants."Finally, my question based on this background is that I've been making payments towards the Defendants' debt on my credit card for four years and will most likely make them for the next several years until I can get this paid off. The original minute entry Judgment was made August 2015 and only included payments I made through April 2015. I have made an additional $9500 in payments through December 2017.The Judge told me I could file a [Proposed] Form of Judgment given the payments I've made to date.How many pages can my PLAINTIFF’S NOTICE OF FILING [PROPOSED] FORM OF JUDGMENT be?ANDIs there any way to stipulate in the proposed judgment that if the Defendants pay the debt in 6 months, it will only be for the $29,486.62 owed as of today, but that every six months, the debt goes up $1500 because I'm paying $250 a month on their debt?Also, can I stipulate the 22.24% interest rate in the Judgment?Is the proposed form of judgment proper, attached?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/18/2017
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

There is no limit on length, but the proposed form of judgment needs to be only long enough to state the judgment terms. You can ask for the judgment to be paid in 6 months, but courts do not like putting time limits in these orders.

You can also seek seizure of their assets for the debt, which would perhaps speed them along in paying. You need to include the 22.24% APR in the order.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Did you look at the Proposed Judgment that I attached?Defendants are $1.5M in debt and in foreclosure right now. Plus, they live in Florida and I'm in Phoenix. I need an iron clad judgment as they are threatening to sue me in Florida now for harassment, so that "you can see what it's like to defend yourself from 2200 miles from your home, as we have."I will land the Judgment in Tampa, but not sure how much longer I can do this after six years. I need to be done as they are highly abusive for taking my money!My Notice of Lodging is six pages without signature page. I feel compelled to give background to this case because the big question at Trial is how did the Defendants get the money given I had provided them with my login and password ***** they could do a balance transfer. What I just realized is that they also have my social security number from a 1099 that I provided to them for consulting work. They knew my Mother's maiden name and that's all they needed to make purchases.Will a six page Notice of Filing work against me?

Thank you for your reply.

They cannot sue you in FL for harassment for trying to collect a debt, but you need to understand that if they have nothing it does not matter how iron clad your judgment is, if they cannot pay they cannot pay it.

You have sent me one page both times, but your proposed order of judgment should only address the judgment. If they are in FL right now, you need to then take that judgment from AZ and file it with a petition to enforce foreign judgment in FL against them. In the petition to enforce the foreign judgment you can include the factual background. The judge in Arizona knows what the background of the issue is so going through it all over again when it is in the court records is not necessary.

I understand about Florida. They have plenty of money from an inheritance they have waited to close with the courts to avoid the creditors. They think we'll all just go away, unfortunately many have.Yes, I was asking if I had entered the 22.24% interest properly in the proposed judgment. I have to file this quickly and the Defendants have already said they will contest it, so I have to be on target.

Thank you for your reply.

So you could ask the courts for a lien on the inheritance as well as part of your order.

The defendants are going to contest it, regardless of whether you are on target or not. You also know this is a proposed order, meaning the court can modify it before issuing it.