Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I have a client who has an LLC, an electrical business, he

I have a client who has an LLC, an electrical business, he wants to start another business. His question is this: can he keep it under the original LLC, and use another name also?

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Good afternoon. Yes, he could do so simply by filing an Assumed Name certificate for the LLC using the additional name. BUT, I would actually recommend he form a new LLC for the new business. The major reason you set up an LLC is to limit liability so that your personal assets are not subject to the debts/liabilities of the LLC. For the same reason, he would be best served to form a separate LLC for the new business so that if he has a problem with one business, it won't contaminate the other.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.