Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Six months after I moved out of my apartment after being…

Customer Question
Hello,Six months after I...

Hello,Six months after I moved out of my apartment after being evicted because the landlord said his daughter was moving in (I was served n12, all done properly), no one has moved in. I have proof.The daughter has gone into real estate, the landlord told me his daughter was going to become an agent about a year before I moved out. She has since sold many properties, all high end.I lived above a pizza shop on a very busy and trendy street in Toronto.I have a son, who is nine. Moving out was stressful and it was almost impossible to find a place in the area to move to. By luck, and at the last minute, I found a place but it was 500.00 more than what I was paying (my rent there was 1500.00 for a two bedroom. They can get more for it, no question. Especially if turned into an air bnb).Whilst living there (three years) I had complained about the plumbing numerous times. At one point my kitchen and bathroom sinks and tub were backed up. It took a week or two for him to have it addressed.I had a washing machine that hooked up to the kitchen sink and it was over flow sometimes due to blocked pipes. Water would stream down the wall into the pizza place below. He did have some pipes fixed at one point but the pipe directly below my sink was rusted through where it jointed the sink, so who knows what was underneath. One flood was my fault however because something fell into the sink and blocked the drain. All others (about five) were due to blocked pipes. I eventually was asked not to use the washing machine, understandably so. I have photos of the condition of the sink and under it and I had expressed concern over mold and water issues for a long time.All of that being said, here are my questions/concerns:I do not believe she ever had the intent to live in the unit. I have filled out the T5. I want compensation and believe I deserve it.The concern I have is that they will take me to small claims court if there is water damage due to washing machine overflowing and I will have to pay for said damages.Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Toronto sorry, i guess this is for the states

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No nothing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/13/2017
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Do you believe your losses exceed theirs?
I don't know if there has been damage or not.
I can't afford to call
Infolawyer, Attorney