Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Today I called the ACS - what an experience. They are

Customer Question
Hello. Today I called...
Hello. Today I called the ACS - what an experience. They are sending my case back to the field to s revenue officer. I have been in CNC since April 2014. I have all tax years fined before CNC and since. I have paid each tax year 14,15,16. I paid on 10/15/17 the 11,000 for 2016. I received the CP504 in November. Called ACS. They said gather expenses on 433 and call on 12/11. Today. I did. Thry said they have to send it back to the field for RO.When the RO gets assigned I guess they send me a letter? I put together the 433 information with supporting documents receipts. He/she reviews it. Sees if I can pay something towards tge back taxes. ? Or leaves it in CNC as it is? I am now 70. I work. Get ssa retirement. Whike this is being sent to field will they not levy and see what RO does? Could they reassign it to the one I had 4 years ago? Is a possible case that I would pay on the past taxes (2004-13)? Some amount as long as I continue to work? I didn’t expect all this. I’m trying to reduce my fears and anxiety over the RO or things. Thanks again
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 2 days by:
12/14/2017
Business Lawyer: DrakeLAW, Attorney replied 5 months ago
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Attorney

There will be no levy while it goes to an RO. It could be the same RO if that person is still employed by the Service. You are entitled to the same standards as before and the point of the program is to allow you to live with reasonable expenses while paying what is left over against the back taxes. You should not have fear that you will be denied the ability to live within reasonable means. Just take the process as it unfolds, I believe it will be okay as that is the purpose of that process.

You don't need to accept this answer because I don't feel like I really answered anything for you, I just wanted to comment to perhaps calm your fears a little. I hope you are well.

You did help calm my fears. It’s been anxiety since I had two levies before /12/27/13 and 1/14/14 for 12,000 combined and then it was assigned to a RO who did put it in CNC on 4/14/14. Since then I’ve paid each year taxes on 10/15 the most recent paid was for 2016 I paid 11,000 on 10/17. I have been gathering receipts and expenses to fully complete the 433- I hope they use the 2016 return since it’s just done rather than try to have me guess what 2017 is. I do believe what you say. I think the queen I have is if I remain in CNC or must pay a lot each month to installment. I did better in 2017 which is why I don’t want them to use it if possible and it will be a while until I get the forms. I pay 208 a month for student loans income sensitive. I’m 70. Like to work 1-2 more years and get things in order. All tax years were filed by 3/14 The fears of levy have to do with what they did on 12/27/13 before it went to RO and on 1/14/14 while it was unassigned. They did work it out. But I never got that back. The attorney I did have at the time didn’t have the ability to resolve that but he did get this CNC. So that’s the overall history and where I’m at now. I don’t know why they decided to look at this other than the CP504 letter I received on 11/13 for tax year 2013 which was in the CNC.
One question: Given this - is an OIC good idea or possible since I have nothing and would need to pay it over the future ? With interest and penalties for 2004-13 it’s over 250k now - it’s doubled. Thanks again for listening and helping me manage my fears and get through this.

Yes well remaining in CNC will be best. But if that's not possible then yes an OIC or Installment Agreement will be possible. The IRS has become a lot more reasonable in their collection practices against those without the means. They implemented a new program last year. (or maybe it was two years ago). I am sure your age will factor into your favor.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your kindness and guidance
Infolawyer, Attorney