Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I would like to import from Belgium (Europe) 100% natural…

Customer Question
I would like to import...
I would like to import from Belgium (Europe) 100% natural yogurt.
What are the import procedure/steps to follow in order to get to the US.
Thanks
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/11/2017
Business Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. There are many regulations you must follow. But if you are intending to import yogurt into the United States, you would have to start with the US. Customs and Border Protection. I found the link to the website that begins the discussion of what you need to do to import dairy products. Would you like the link address?

Hello, if the link contain the import procedure / steps that would help, yes

The link provide some of the steps such as the filing of the prior notice.

Below is the link. Let me know if it is helpful to you:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/206/~/regulations-for-importing-dairy-products-for-commercial-use

Thanks, ***** ***** confusing , that’s my dilemma.
Basically a simple step by step with a list of required item would easier.

Unfortunately, there are no simple steps. An attorney would have to work on the issue for you and that could take hours if not days to give you all the necessary papers to sign.

Understood.
Thanks again

You are welcome. If you ever want to discuss other issues, just let me know.

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting getting a link from the internet as an answer from a professional.
It didn’t really help me out.
I got a more concise reply from CBP, as you can see below”
“Response Via Email (CBP Officer) 12/12/2017 05:38 PM
The 1st link explains the rules to import dairy products, and you do not need a special permit for yogurt. The other links explain the basic import rules and duty rates. Shipments worth $2500 or more require a formal entry, and it is usually easiest to have a broker do that paperwork. For more information the best thing to do is contact the CBP port where the shipments will enter the US or a Center of Excellence and Expertise. “

Thanks for letting me know. Questions about importing products require additional research for each type of product and there are multiple regulations affecting the import requirements. It is nice that the CBP Officer supplied you some information as a call to them would be done by an attorney's office representing you to begin the research. There is no quick answer to the question, unfortunately. I know that this is not quite what you want to hear but it is better to know. Best of luck.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney