Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a customer that owes me about a thousand dollars, i…

Customer Question
I have a customer that...
I have a customer that owes me about a thousand dollars, i don’t care if I spend more than that in the process since it is beginning to become more common the more times it happened
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/9/2017
Business Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you tell me what state you are in?

.

Do you have contact information for the customer?

.

Are they local or in another state?

.

.

thanks

I’m in CA and I have there contact info, they are local
Could we schedule a call so I can explain things better

Ok, then you can just file a small claims court case against then as the limit is $10K and you don't need an attorney. You would just go down to the local courthouse where they live and get the summons and complaint forms from the clerks and fill out and file them.

.

Then you just come to court on the court date with your evidence and tell your story to the judge...

.

I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website because I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible in writing.

.

However, if you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

I am more than happy to continue on the website though..

.

.

thanks

Ok, About a year ago we had a customer that decided not to pay us and I decided to just let it go thinking that it was my ego then a year later another guy did it for a much larger amount and coincidentally they knew each other I just need to do something To stop this before it gets out of hand
try not to pay us has made him come up with excuses that you have Hurt the reputation of my company

Ok, your recourse is to do exactly what I stated above... and you still have a year to sue the first guy if you wanted to do so..

.

.

thanks

I’m no good at standing up for myself with things like this , is there any other options

Well, you could pay an attorney a couple thousand to sue both of them for you... But much cheaper and simpler to just sue them in small claims court yourself as it is set up for the non attorney... Think "Judge Judy" without the sarcasm...

I would rather just hire a professional to do it some jobs go for 20-50k and I couldn’t imagine losing that because I’m known to just let things go If I went before a judge I feel like there would be a chance I wouldn’t communicate the points clearly

Well it might be worth the money to set an example as well.. and you can always add in the attorney fees into the lawsuit demand then it is up to the judge as to whether or not to award them, but they usually do.

.

Adding in the "fear factor" of getting sued for not paying you when word gets around is also a benefit.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need local counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews. You would be looking for a general litigation or contract litigation attorney.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney