Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I need to know if it is legal to start a company that earns…

Customer Question
I need to know if...
I need to know if it is legal to start a company that earns profit by selling hookahs (filled with tobacco for customer use) without a permit in bars?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/9/2017
Business Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Business Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

Unfortunately I have to report that no, that is not legal.

You will have to obtain a RETAIL TOBACCO PRODUCTS DEALER PERMIT (RTPD).

You can apply for one here:

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/CheckListDetail.asp?SID=&xactCode=1032&clientCode=4012&XACT_DEFN_ID=7211

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha, thank you for your reply. Does the retail tobacco products permit allow you to sell in multiple locations? My company would be floating in between bars that do not have hookahs and providing that service to them without them having to invest into hookah equipment or training employees.
Business Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 4 months ago

This is something you'll need to contact the customer support line about.

I can let you know that typically you have to obtain a separate license for each location you intend to sell tobacco products at. You even need to obtain a separate license for each cigarette vending machine you set up at various locations.

Your situation is a bit non-traditional, so you should contact the DBPR customer support center to confirm. You can even do so anonymously.

Here's the number:

***-***-****

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones