Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We have an s corporation. In the shareholder agreement there…

We have an s...

We have an s corporation. In the shareholder agreement there is a provision that the corporation must repurchase shares from minority shareholder when offered. Shareholder Agreement further states that fair market value will be used. My question is - If Fair Market Value assumes a willing buyer and willing seller- should this valuation method be used when one party is compelled to repurchase.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

We are in Idaho and we have not contacted a local attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Nothing has been filed- only the articles of incorporation three years ago that contained the shareholder agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is about it

12/6/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive business law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Yes, this is the valuation to be used, as state in the Shareholder Agreement. Of course, if the parties agree to a different valuation, they may do so. Also, if the parties are unable to agree on a valuation, they would need to hire an appraiser to determine the value.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.