Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I hired a P.E. Civil Engineer for a fix price/fee plus per…

Customer Question
I hired a P.E. Civil...
I hired a P.E. Civil Engineer for a fix price/fee plus per hour for any unforeseen additional task shows up to do a project. Now this P.E. is billing me hours after hours claiming that is extra job. I have no way to verify if that many hours was needed to do the extra job. I am on his mercy.In the future, can I put something in the contract to limit this open ended billing?Same questions for attorneys. There is no way for me to check if the attorney really spend that many hours on my case.
Is there anyway to stop this senseless billing? [I guess not.]
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/5/2017
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can have agreed total prices. You can have prices per stage of project. You can require advance approval before a project/stage starts with quoted price. This works with contractors, engineers and lawyers.

Please let me know if that is acceptable by responding "yes"

Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!