Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can the architect force a contractor to use a specific

Customer Question
Can the architect force...

Can the architect force a contractor to use a specific vendor on a federally funded project even though the specifications list several approved manufacturers?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We bid a project based on the plans and specifications which list acceptable manufacturers, we used and submitted on one of those manufacturers. A specific vendor who was not low but who has a personal relationship with the architect came to us and threatened that our Submittals would not be approved unless we used their package even though the package we submitted meets or exceeds the contract specifications.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It has been over a month since we submitted products for approval and we have received no feedback.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
12/1/2017
Business Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney
I have experience with federal contracts. The vendor is incorrect. You can use any vendor approved by the customer.