Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can someones website be fully copied and used? Mybe not

Customer Question
Can someones website be...

Can someones website be fully copied and used ? Mybe not fully but the main area. For example if I`ll make a Craiglist, or a Gumtree, but for different country and will use their tree of subjects (like "Vacancies"->"Scotland"->"Plasterer"-"Price") if you know that I mean, so I will save time on thinking which ones is the best to use in certain case. Is it legal ? Or can I do this with certain restrictions ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Its web specific question, our local attorneys deals with properties in most. I`m in UK, Scotland.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

What do you mean ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Its just a thoughts yet, no paperworks been filled yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
11/29/2017
Business Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I just realized that you were based in the United Kingdom; however, if you are considering copying parts of a website based in the U.S. like Craigslist, I can certainly help you out. One moment...

So, generally, under the Copyright Act in the United States, if a person copies the original work of another party without their permission, then they may be liable for the actual damages that accruee. What this means that if you copy the code that Craigslist has a proprietary use on, and don't seek their permission to do so, then you may be sued in a U.S. court for the actions. On the other hand, there are some thing that are generally not subject to copyright protection. If your code simply replicates commonly used terms like "Vacancies" or "Scotland," then there is not going to be any copyright attached to those specific words because Craigslist does not own those words. However, if you are copying the image, logos, specific layout, or even names of categories that are highly unique to Craigslist such as "Missed Connections," it is probable that you'd be engaging in a copyright violation. What other questions did you have for me today?