Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

In 2011 we stopped operating our S Corp business and filed…

In 2011 we stopped...

In 2011 we stopped operating our S Corp business and filed our "final tax return". Unfortunately I did not know to send in the B06 form "dissolution" form. At the beginning of this moth (November 2017) I received a letter from the state department (NC) indicating that their finding of suspension in 2015 was erroneous and they apologized. I called them to find out what was up ? It turns out they made a mistake in revenue but it turns out the business is "admin dissolved". I was informed to dissolve the business I needed to send in all outstanding Annual Reports (2012-2016), a request to re-intstutitur the business (form B08) and all fees for each, then once the business is out of admin-dissolve I can send B06 to dissolve it. I sent the forms and fees, my question is should I file state and federal taxes for the business as well (2012-2016) ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

I just sent the Annual Reports and request to reinstate the business on Tuesday. They should receive that today. That is all that has been sent. (And alter explains I just want to dissolve the business).

Photo of letter I sent with Annual Reports and request to reinstate.
11/24/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Since the company was in administrative dissolution and had no income, no tax filings are required as there was no income, no debt, no activity. Under federal law, you have to file taxes only if you continue to do business in a corporate manner. As you did not do business during that time no tax filings are due.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.