Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I need legal advice, my truck was vandalized and I put in a…

I need legal advice, my...
I need legal advice, my truck was vandalized and I put in a claim with my insurance Commerce insurance. the adjuster came to see vehicle and told me to take my truck to the body shop . because of my good driving record my 300.00 dollar deductible was waived. I brought my truck to auto body shop on 11/13/2017 . the damage was my moonroof . after 3 moon roofs from junkyard they couldn't get them to work so they finally put a new oem roof in and truck was finally repaired 11/22/17. Shop calls me and says Mr Wrightington your vehicle is done but cant give it to you because I haven't been paid yet by the insurance company so im putting a mechanics lien on it till they pay for repairs . I was told if I go down and pay the bill he give me my truck is this legal to do is my question.
11/23/2017
legalg
legalg, Attorney
I am sorry to hear this. Yes, a mechanic lien is legal unfortunately but the insurance company also has an obligation to pay per the policy. If they fail to do so they can be sued for bad faith breach of contract and the plaintiff can request reasonably foreseeable and proximately caused damages which may include a rental car.
legalg
legalg, Attorney
I should go pay the bill that they arnt paying so I can get my truck back for work. is that what you think I should do
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
legalg
legalg
legalg, Attorney