Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I own an LLC and would like to expand by entering into

partnerships. Is there a way...
I own an LLC and would like to expand by entering into partnerships. Is there a way to do this without being a franchise?
11/22/2017
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

What do you mean by expand? Are you looking to open more outlets and to do that allowing individuals to invest in the particular outlet? Is there any common theme to these outlets that make it look like a franchise?

it will be opening to others to invest in starting their own business. Basically, we're thinking of a franchise but I was wondering if there is any way to get around the label of franchise by using a different business model that's very similar.

If you are the majority owner of each outlet you would control all aspects of the operation. However, if you will not be majority owner and you want to ensure that the presentation is consistent across all outlets, the only way you can do that is through a franchise system which is the way in which you can control the presentation and operation and not own the outlet.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

What is a business co-op? I heard it's similar to a franchise, but each person owns their share individually like their own business and meet together to decide on business practice on a vote. Is there a President? or Owner?

coops are generally for purchasing goods in bulk for the benefit of members. The coop would only control buying and have no control over any individual's business. I do not believe it is what you have in mind.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney