Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My husband died and i️ couldn’t find a business agreement.

Customer Question
My husband died and...

My husband died and i️ couldn’t find a business agreement. His partner supplied the business agreement but the signature is not my husbands(it looks forged).

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No.. I️ hired a probate lawyer but have not been named executor yet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Business Law
11/21/2017
Business Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Ely, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am very sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) What city is this in?

2) What is your question here, i.e. what do you wish to know?

texas - Is there anything i can do if the agreement was altered after my husband passed away? Also I know that is not my husbands signature.,

Thank you. The answer is yes. As part of probate, someone in your situation can file a suit for declaratory judgment against the partner on behalf of the estate. This would actually fall under the probate court in this case, given the situation. One can sue for a declaratory judgment under Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code Chapter 37, and ask the Court to VOID the contract as invalid if you can prove that the signature is indeed fake.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.