Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Is Collection company allowed to claim interest on the debt

Customer Question
they have not proven to...
Is Collection company allowed to claim interest on the debt they have not proven to be valid ?
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Business Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Attorney replied 27 days ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Can you please provide some more details? Has this company filed a complaint in civil court yet? Or have they just demanded that you pay them? Have you specifically requested validation of the debt yet?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I just received first letter from them , that shows
principal
Interest
charges,but does not provide any detail about what the debt is for

You should write to them and ask them to verify the debt pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 USC 1492(g)). They are required to show validation of the debt and allow you a chance to contest it.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
what about the interest . are they allowed to charge interest ?

That would depend on the original terms of the debt. Without a copy, it is impossible to say.

But assuming that interest accrued on the debt at a certain rate, then yes, they would be able to charge that interest.

Infolawyer, Attorney