Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I received a certified irs letter this morning but am at…

I received a certified irs...
I received a certified irs letter this morning but am at work so I’m worried sick I sent 11,000 on 10-15 return for 2016. I’m in CNC two years. I received about a month ago a tax bill for each tax year but I thought I was in CNC so I didn’t do anything. Would this be tgat they levy or Lien or need other things. Worried sick. Jerry.
11/21/2017
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

It could be a Lien or even a Notice about amounts owed. If you are at work and can call the IRS, you could do that to find out what it is. The IRS generally does not send levys by certified mail.

Please kindly rate the question so I may be credited. Thank you. You can still ask follow-up questions.

DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Attorney
I received a letter around a month ago for each tax year owed but I didn’t think I needed to do anything because of being in CNC. I then sent in the 2016 return on 10/15 with 11,000. Would they send certified letter for if they adjusted the return and I owe more ? Just worried sick. I’ve tried to manage but I didn’t expect this letter. They typically don’t send levy certified - I guess they levy then take money and mail you a letter ? That’s what they did years ago. Am I over worried?

Yes, they could have adjusted and sent that by certified. My guess is that is what it is. That's right, if they levy, they levy first and then you get the notice later.

Well, I guess you are over-worried. My approach is that it is what it is, and it will work out if you have to pay it over time or whatever. The IRS is generally reasonable now to work out payments.

Or said another way, it may be something you need to deal with over the longer term but probably not something to really worry about in the short term until you see what it is.

Thank you. I’ve tried to do everything right. All tax years are filed. I’m in CNC two years. Paid taxes for both 2015 and 2016. The only thing different was my sending in the 11,000 a month ago. I will try not to worry. Thank you. For decreasing my stress.

Oh and I should mention, while in CNC, they cannot levy, so its definitely not that.

I have to think it is tied to the $11,000 payment. I guess it could also be a review of your CNC status given the large payment. I still can't imagine anything that is a short-term concern. Even if it is a review, if you qualified before and there has been no change then you will qualify again but may just need to go through the process.

If you need more assistance after finding out what it is feel free to come back to this question and follow-up.

Okay. If they review CNC status do they send you a certified letter ? Or at least a letter to let you know ? It just seems like it’s connected to the 11,000 I sent. They may want more for 2016? This helps me understand. I’ll let you know what it is.

I don't know for sure if they send certified for CNC review but they definitely notify you yes. You get the chance to present your documents if necessary to remain in CNC. If you are in CNC, they won't just ask for more because you made a lump sum payment. They may want to know where that money came from which could the CNC review. It could also just be a statement of how the $11,000 was applied and what the new current balances are.

I got a letter CP504 intent to levy state tax. Dated 11/23 to respond by. Thursday. It was for 2013 for 17,000. That year was included in CNC. But I called attorney who did that CNC and he said it looks like it was not included! So if the attorney calls them by tomorrow can he stop the levy and try to see if they can add the 2013 back in or at a minimum get a installment payment for the 17,000? It had nothing to do with CNC or the 11,000 I sent in for 2016. Do you think the worst case is I will do an installment to pay over time even though all other years are CNC and I can stop levy? Thanks for your guidance. I never knew this was a issue
Hi. I called the local office Wednesday and they said that I was in CNC and the letter had said an CP504 intent to levy. State refunds. For 2013. Tge 2013 tax year I confirmed Wednesday locally that it’s in the CNC. I could not reach the Memphis collections Department so I’ll need call Monday. I paid taxes for 14,15,16 all in October. All correct. I don’t know what happened to do this. It was a certified letter. Will I have time to sort this out? The worry is over levy of federal payments and social security. What do you think happened?

I was away for the holidays, I will be available tomorrow after you make some calls to try and sort it out. I am not quite understanding all the facts either. You have a $17,000 refund coming to you now from the State for the 2013 tax year?

To answer the main question, yes, you have time to sort this out and yes, if you do not have the lump-sum funds you can enter an installment plan. But lets try and get the facts down first after you talk to them.

Sorry for the confusion. Here’s what I know. In Tuesday I received a CP504 Certified letter for taxes owed for 2013 for 17,000. They gave me to Thursday- thanksgiving- to call the number on the letter. They were always busy. They were closed Friday. I’m calling tomorrow on Monday.
On Wednesday I called local office that confirmed that I was still in CNC and that the 2013 tax year had been included in the CNC. They had no explanation for the letter. I had previously paid 2014,15,16 in October of each year for current taxes. Most recently on 10/15/17 I sent 11,000 for 2016 taxes. My worries are why did I get the letter ? It’s caused me high stress and grief. I’ve said nothing to wife yet. I hope to not. I’ve been sick with worry over this. Will they levy federal payments and social security even though I’m in CNC ? Is it possible that the local office that approved CNC 3 years ago that shows 2013 is in CNC and the Memphis collections office have different information? Since I’m in CNC I don’t think you can do an installment for 2013? I know the letter says for state refunds but since I get social security and Federal payments and three years ago they did levy federal payments at treasury department this brings up all these fears. That’s why I filed all taxes. Got in CNC. And paid current taxes for three years. But now this. I don’t know what else I could have done better. That’s where it’s at today. Something does not fit. Are they just sending the letter more to advise but why certified if they are not trying to collect on taxes that are CNC included? Hope this clarifies things. I was having such a horrible sick worried week. My fears have escalated. Any help will be a Godsend

If you are in CNC they would not levy social security. The notice you received pertains only to State income tax refunds. Sometimes, the IRS does things that just don't make sense. The date to call on Thanksgiving is a great example. Just call them tomorrow and see what you can get to the bottom of. I suspect you may not need to worry as much as you think for this.

Okay. Good. Thank you