Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can the Legislature of a sovereign US state delegate the

powers its State Constitution provides...
Can the Legislature of a sovereign US state delegate the powers its State Constitution provides to its elected representatives to make laws, to any other body but itself, anywhere? I think not. I think any such attempt would be unconstitutional under both the State Constitution and the US Constitution.
Scenario: A US National Independent Private Organization headquartered in State A of the USA, has taken upon itself the task of monitoring the rules and amending same as they see fit every year, in a particular area of human activity. It could be anything. To wit: Speed limits on highways, construction codes, fire safety regulations, minimum drinking age, legalization of marijuana laws, requirements for police officer qualifications, etc.,
A State B of the United States, passes a law which says that any changes in the rules made by said US National Independent Private Organization about its particular area of knowledge and expertise, WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY ADOPTED HOLUS BOLUS, WITH NO REVIEW OF ANY KIND, AS THE LAW OF SAID STATE B, upon the official publication BY THE ORGANIZATION OF ITS NEW RULES.
I regard that as ultra vires of its powers and completely unconstitutional. I regard that as invalid as having, say, the Governor delegate his power to veto to some third out-of state person or entity.
Powers granted by the Constitution can and must be exercised solely by those who have been granted such powers. . Advice may be sought from anyone. Input may be received from anyone, But the final decision on any change in the laws MUST be made by those to whom the Constitution has granted those powers. And in the manner and providing the full protection to the citizens of that State, of the particular checks and balances built into the particular State Constitution. Those powers cannot and MUST not be delegated to anyone.
How say you?
11/21/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

The state legislatures have the power to introduce bills and vote on them.Once passed the governor either signs them or vetoes them.Any law here may then be challenged through the judicial branch regarding its constitutionality.Many of these are held to be unconstitutional, many are upheld.Really the judicial branch is the most important safeguard over the legislature in this respect.

Checks and balances are the cornerstones of your system.

I appreciate the chance to help you ,thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
You have provided a general response to a very specific question. Does that mean you have no opinion on the particular question asked? Or are you saying that it is possible that a law passed in Florida AUTOMATICALLY incorporating an out of state's entity's changing standards on certain matters might still be valid?

It can be valid on its face subject to judicial review.It might be duly promulgated but unconstitutional.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Good answer. Thanks.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Same to you Ray

Bye now.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney