Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

If an LLC (A LLC) in Utah has as the only member as another…

Customer Question
If an LLC (A LLC)...
If an LLC (A LLC) in Utah has as the only member as another LLC (B LLC). If B LLC failed to renew and has an expired registration as 5/30/2017. Is A LLC not defunct under Utah Code
48-3a-701 (3), because it has had no members for over 90 days?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Business Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Based on the statute, if 90 days pass and there are no members, it'll be dissolved; however, if B LLC transfers their interest over to someone else, then it'll not be dissolved. I know that's a short answer to your question, so let me know if you have any additional questions regarding this.

This didn't exactly ask my question, Does B LLC being expired for over 90 days, and still expired create a situation where it can't be an active member in another LLC ( A LLC).

I'm sorry. Let's see if I can clarify your concern. So, B LLC has been dissolved according to UT law, but it owns A LLC. So you're wondering whether because B LLC is dissolved, can it hold A LLC as an asset?

B LLC is expired, and the only member of A LLC. Does the fact that B is expired since 5/30/2017 create a sitution where A LLC has had no member for over 90 days, and would be defunct under Utah law?

I see what you mean. The answer to your question is yes. Since LLCs are a creation of law, they can also be dissolved as a matter of law as well. This is dissimilar to when a natural person dies. If a natural person dies, their estate then becomes the owner of the LLC. If the LLC is dissolved, they don't have an "estate" like a natural person, meaning that A LLC does not have any members until B LLC transfers the property over to someone else. However, at this point, A LLC will be dissolved as a matter of law because its underlying owner is defunct.