Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am beginning a website and need a legal disclaimer. I have…

I am beginning a...

I am beginning a website and need a legal disclaimer. I have written one, but wonder:

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Do you have a boiler plate one and if not, how much will it cost to take a look and tailor mine?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

All right, I'll do it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Here is my copy as it stands:DisclaimerThe information on this site is intended as authoritative guidelines for the general population
but must not be regarded as a substitute for a personal physician’s opinion. Users
of the site must recognize that its authors do not know your students, and
therefore cannot take into account their individual strengths and weaknesses.The descriptions and suggestions in this website are the work and property of Yoga Injury Prevention, LLC. People and parties testing or using this program are hereby advised that they, and not Yoga Injury Prevention, LLC, are responsible for any effects, good or bad that the use of this website has on themselves and others.By using this website each user thereby indemnifies Yoga Injury Prevention, LLC and its owners and holds them harmless regarding any injury or harm caused by those using the website, or taught by them. The information in this website is imparted as suggestion, not be mistaken for medical advice. Medical advice must be taken up with physicians or other health professionals that have personal familiarity with those seeking it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's it.

11/19/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

We're not allowed to reword or offer advice on documents such as disclaimers. That requires the creation of an attorney client relationship which we can't create on here.

However, you don't want to word the document yourself, particularly if it is for an LLC. First, it's illegal for a non-lawyer to create a document for another entity and an LLC is considered a separate entity. Second, if you are ever sued and they find out you did word the disclaimer yourself then you will have just "broken the corporate shield" and imposed liability on yourself. Third, there are some issues with the disclaimer as a whole.

What I'd suggest is to 1) hire a local lawyer to draft all of the terms and conditions of your website, including this page. If that is not an option then I'd suggest purchasing a form set from LegalZoom.com or a small website that publishes a packet through RebellionBooks.com at http://rebellionbooks.com/products-page/all-products/website-non-adult-content-forms-bundle/

I've seen the forms from RebellionBooks and they are extremely comprehensive and all you have to do is slightly customize them for your site (names, addresses, etc). Their price is very good as well. I refer a lot of people to their books, The Guerrilla Guides to the Law, and I understand they are testing the forms market with this set,

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney