Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

How can I change the articles of incorporation of my

Customer Question
company, I started the business...
How can I change the articles of incorporation of my company, I started the business 50% and 50% my brother, but now it’s just myself , and I need to change it to 100% just I’ my brother is agree to.?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Business Law
Virginia Law
11/17/2017
Business Lawyer: KLAW, Attorney replied 8 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Attorney

Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today. Is it a corporation or an LLC?

It’s a C-Corporation

Ok. I will work on your answer.

I​s your brother active in the business and has he been paid compensation?

No

D​o you have by laws?

You mean in the articles of incorporation?
No, a corporation agreement between both you and your brother.
No
Just in the article of incorporation of Virginia
I’m going to be away and I’ll open the question to another attorney to expedite.
Business Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Attorney replied 8 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Attorney

Hello, new expert here.

Under Virginia law, you don't have to change the article of incorporation. What you have to do is have the company repurchase your brother's stock and cancel the stock. Then his stock is no longer outstanding, and you will be the only stockholder of the corporation. Since you are the only stockholder, you will then own 100% of the corporation. Simple.

There is nothing that gets filed with the state in this matter. Just repurchase his stock and cancel it, leaving you as the sole 100% stockholder.

Please rate 4 or 5 stars and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Business Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Attorney replied 7 months ago