Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I owe $4k for a company that help setup my retirement

Customer Question
I owe $4k for...

I owe $4k for a company that help setup my retirement account. My accountant referred me. I have been short money and haven't paid. They sent a letter cc:ing my accountant and also emailed him that I owe them money. Which is none of his business.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I feel like i am being strong-armed into paying an invoice by embarrassing me with an outside person who doesn't work for the retirement company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nope i have the letter and email. and the letter cc: my accountant. For all they know I don't use that accountant or want him to know. My personal business.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Business Law
11/17/2017
Business Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney

This would appear to me to be a violation for the Fair Debt Collections Act as well as California's similar statute. This is a good overview of the two statutes. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/california-fair-debt-collection-laws.html

I would send a letter asking them to cease and desist and have them talk to an attorney on your behalf. He/she may be able to effectuate a settlement or reduction of the amount owed.

I know. Can I get compensation? You say it appears. Is it or not?
I am looking for a lawyer to help me. I googled exactly what you told me.

Yes, I believe it is a violation when they notified a third party without authority. Yes, the statutes do provide for damages.

Unfortunately I am not licensed in California and cannot take your case. You should look for an attorney who specializes in consumer protection.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney