Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I own a print shop and I have a partnership that I am about

Customer Question
Hi there, I own a...
Hi there, I own a print shop and I have a partnership that I am about to exit. The old partner ceased to work here and decided they want out. We are not able to agree on a price so I have decided to open up separately. He is 34% partner, and I am 66%. Do I have a right to continue using the DBA
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: CA, yes I had an attorney write up the contract
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: Filed as in? our partnership agreement? I believe so. We have done our taxes and I am 66% on the previous tax year and currently, they are 33%
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Business Law
11/14/2017
Business Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 2 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive business law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: As majority holder in the partnership, if you are continuing to operate the partnership, you may use the fictitious business name (DBA).

You should really attempt to settle the buy-out of the minority partner as well. Until you buy out this partner's interest, you are still personally liable for any work that he does under the name and you cannot prevent him from also using the name (unless your partnership agreement provides otherwise).

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi