Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

You mentioned in 2012 reply that contractors warranty is…

Customer Question
Hi Roger, You mentioned...

Hi Roger, You mentioned in 2012 reply that contractors warranty is transferrable to new owner. Does your reply remain the same today also? I mean is the law same today also?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No, nothing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Business Law
11/10/2017
Business Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago
Michael Bradley

the law has not changed

you need to make sure that the warranty contains language that it is transferable

No it does not have that language. It just says it’s 1 year warranty. Does it mean it’s not transferable?
Business Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago

if the warranty has expired then of course it is over

if there is time left and no language then I would contact the contractor

there is no language since it is a short time

I would guess they would allow it to transfer for home much time is left

Hi Michael,
I am not quite coonvinced with the reply. You got to be clear, as per the CA law is the warranty transferrable or not?
You said "They" would allow to transfer for home much time is left. I am not asking you what contractor would allow. they would never like there warranty to transfer. Question is what the law says.
If my contractor agrees to transfer the warranty, i would not be asking this question.
Business Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago

how much time is left on the warranty?

11 months are left. The renovation just completed 1 month back. And i am selling the house (i flip houses)
Business Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 7 months ago
There is nothing under California law that I was able to find that requires or makes the transfer of the warranty mandatory. However, since this is something that you do for a living, I am very surprised that the contractor would not be interested in transferring that warranty since this is something that you do and would certainly feed them more business. You may want to offer a home warranty upon the sale of the property. Those are things that cost a couple hundred bucks or so that gives the homeowner added protection