Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We are in dallas, TX and I have a doctorate in Pharmacy. I…

Customer Question
Hello, we are in...

Hello, we are in dallas, TX and I have a doctorate in Pharmacy. I want to know if I can start a visiting housecall doctors group? We will be seeing Medicare patients in their place of residence. We wouls have a medical director who is an MD.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

We have an LLC already, we have sent in our application to Medicare but waiting for our PTAN. We have not seen any pts yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state the LLC is registered in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Medical director doctor is not a member/ owner of the business

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Would a doctor be doing the house calls? Would anyone other than a doctor be doing the house calls and what services would they be providing?

Hello Richard,
Thank you. Yes, the doctor will physically the patients twice a year. In addition, his contract says he runs the group as he sees fit in the best benefit of the patient. The MD is also putting together the Standard operating procedures for the group. We will also have a nurse practitioner seeing patients after the initial MD visit. The NP will follow up with patients between MD visits. In addition, i will be seeing patients as well and reviewing their charts as the clinical pharmacist on the team making sure all medications are being prescribed appropriately and at the right doses.Services: annual well visits, sick visits, chronic disease management, transitional care management, vaccines, etc.Thank you,
Deepa

I have to step away for a little while but I will be back to you. I have one other question, who will own the LLC?

The LLC is owned by myself and my husband. I am a PharmD (doctor of pharmacy) and my husband is an IP attorney.

Texas law prohibits a physician from being employed by a non physician to perform medical services. Although you are a doctor of pharmacy you cannot be an owner of a professional corporation that engages in the practice of medicine. To achieve the result you are looking for will take very careful planning and a close review of the both the statute and case law on acts that constitute the unlawful practice of medicine. You would have to structure the relationship where the doctor is acting as an independent contractor. The contracts that are drawn to govern the relationship would have to take into account the relevant case law.

This is too fact specific to how you would operate and how the relationships are structured to be done through a forum such as this. I recommend you retain an attorney to help you work out a set up that works both practically and legally. Your idea of just having a contract with the doctor of the type you describe I do not believe will pass muster because it has an entity controlled by non physicians hiring a physician which has the attributes of the physician lending his license to the entity which is statutorily prohibited.

Sorry for the bad news. However, I believe there is a way to structure an arrangement that can work.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Thank you for the response.
Our contract clearly states that the physian is not an employee. It also clearly states that the physician is an independent contractor. Does this help?
Can you please point us to the relevant statutes (and also some prominent case law if possible)? Thank you, again.As you recommend, we shall look into retaining an attorney.Best,
Deepa.

Having the physician be an independent contractor is a good start but the cases make clear that how you label the person is not the sole determining factor. Here is a link to a good discussion of the issues with statutory and case references.

file:///C:/Users/rick.GAINES/Downloads/CPM%20White%20Paper%20(1).pdf

If you look at the cases discussed you will see that the terms of the contract are an important factor. You also have to take into account how other medical staff such as the nurses and NPs are integrated and employed.