Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am business owner and have been S corp for 17 years. Been…

Customer Question
I am business owner...

I am business owner and have been S corp for 17 years. Been with the same insurance company for most of those years. I carry work comp on employees and myself. I was meeting an insurance adjuster on a job site and that person fell off of a roof onto me causing back injury. I was told by my regular health care doctor that it would be considered a work related injury and to reach out to my work comp. So I did, I have had 3 MRI on back, almost 4 month down. Currently in therapy twice a week. I reached out to my work comp adjuster for I am worried about my responsibilites or rather bills that are piling up. He stated since I own the business I am not able to receive lost wage benefits. Is this correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the injury with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Neither

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No. S corporation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 6 days by:
11/16/2017
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you can prove you were receiving wages prior to the accident, then YOU ARE ENTITLED TO WAGES NOW under temporary total disability. So them telling you that you are not entitled to wages for TTD is not correct unless your plan specifically states you cannot collect as owner. You will have to prove your base weekly wages for the disability calculation under workers compensation, meaning you need to provide your payroll proof you were getting wages.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.