Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am opening a mental health private practice in WA State. I

have read so much information...
I am opening a mental health private practice in WA State. I have read so much information but am still unsure about whether I am required to apply for a PLLC as a licensed professional. Am I required to form a PLLC instead of an LLC?
11/1/2017
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Thank you.

My understanding is that could be a good idea but is optional.

RCW 25.15.046 provides for the ability of licensed professionals to form a PLLC, but does not set forth that it is a requirement. In addition, it does not directly state what "professionals" specifically would qualify as a PLLC. Howver, it is my understanding that Mental Health Counselors can form a PLLC.

• A licensed individual or group of individuals authorized to render the same professional services may organize and become a shareholder or shareholders of a professional corporation for the purpose of rendering professional service. One or more of the licensed individuals shall be the incorporators of the professional corporation.

You could call the Washington Secretary of State and asking them what (a) are PLLC's a requirement in WA and b) if a LMHC is considered a "professional" for purposes of acquiring a PLLC. The WA Secretary of State help number is(###) ###-#### But it appears that you licenses provider can form PLLC but is not required to do so, although it seems a good idea to do so.

We can continue to discuss this if you would like to do so.

You are welcome.

Thank you, ***** ***** I do not know if additional questions incur additional costs. The information you provided is helpful. I do have a clarifying question: it is not a requirement for licensed professionals to form a PLLC, so I am likely not required to switch over at some point if I choose a PLLC. Is that correct? (I can also call the helpline, as you suggested).
Correction: *choose an LLC.

I would lien toward forming the PLLC rather than the LLC because possibly at some point you would have to switch to a PLLC if the law changes. Plus, being a PLLC is a better marketing tool. If you have further questions, just let me know. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Thank you, ***** ***** Have a great day!

You are welcome. You too!

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney