Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

In order to secure a business name I register it with the…

In order to secure...

In order to secure a business name I register it with the state under my name. although its my brother's company who's name is ***** ***** the advertising as the owner, generating the only business that runs the company. And my brother and I agree it's his business. We had over looked but has since changed the "Registered Agent Information" to his name. Can we now legally say it's his business?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Colorado, and no

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Only the paper work with the state and federal government to secure the business name as a functional entity

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a newly formed business, May of this year. though it did not start operating or generate a single dollar until my brother created advertisement for it, which also, includes the business web site.

10/31/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

in order to secure a business name I register it with the state under my name. although its my brother's company who's name is ***** ***** the advertising as the owner, generating the only business that runs the company. And my brother and I agree it's his business. We had over looked but has since changed the "Registered Agent Information" to his name. Can we now legally say it's his business?

Response: Unfortunately, no. The business is still legally yours because your name was used to register the business. A Registered Agent does not own the company. A Registered Agent is just that, an Agent of the company--a person that receives Service of Process on behalf of the company.

If this is an LLC, you can prepare a very detailed Operating Agreement specifying the liabilities, responsibilities, and rights of the parties. Here, you can designate the percentage ownership of the company. This Operating Agreement is for your records only and is not filed with the Secretary of State Office as part of the registration of the business.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law