Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Is there a benefit to having a corporation own multiple

LLCs? Or is one corporation...
Is there a benefit to having a corporation own multiple LLCs? Or is one corporation doing multiple businesses a better way?
10/24/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive business formation experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: There is absolutely a benefit. If you separate each business into a separate legal entity (corporation or LLC), you then separate the legal liability for that business from the other business. There is a prominent case taught in law school where a taxi company had a separate corporation for each taxi cab (Taxi Cab Corporation 1 through 10). This ensured that if there was an accident with taxi cab 1, that the other 9 cabs were protected from the liability.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Perfect. So from a legal stand point each will be protected. But is there a benefit to having a holding company owning all the LLCs under one umbrella?

Yes, it let's you centralize your ownership. Also, if you want to have investors for the entire enterprise, you can also do so this way.

I see. From a taxation standpoint, what is the consequence of doing so?

That is the one downside to this proposition. You will have to file multiple tax returns for each separate legal entity. Although, the benefits outweigh the detriminents.

Is there a tax saving by doing this structure?

No, there are no tax deductions or savings from this structure.

Roy Hadavi
Got it. Thank you

You're very welcome.
Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi