Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I served a person in Oregon small claims court he did not…

I served a person in...
I served a person in Oregon small claims court he did not respond. What is my next step?
10/20/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

From the OR State Court site: http://www.courts.oregon.gov/Lane/SmallClaims/pages/schow.aspx#process

.

The plaintiff in a small claims case may file a request for default judgment if the defendant has not filed a response within 14 days from the date the claim was served on the defendant. The Request for Judgment form is provided in the court's small claim packet and is also available from the civil cashier at the courthouse. The request must be notarized. A clerk of the court can notarize the plaintiff's signature on the form if identification is provided. The request will be reviewed and a judgment will be entered by the clerk. Notice of the entry of the judgment in the register is sent to the parties that have appeared.

.

Once a money judgment is entered the judgment creditor can proceed with collection. The court cannot help with collection of a debt. The creditor and/or debtor may want to contact an attorney or collection agency for assistance. Please refer to Post Judgment Process under Civil & Landlord-Tenant for information on garnishments. Judgment information is public record and is available to credit reporting agencies and title companies.

.

Money judgments for $3,000 or more are docketed in the judgment docket. Docketing creates a lien on real property in the county where it is docketed. A creditor may create a lien on real property in the county where the judgment is entered if the amount is less than $3,000 by requesting the clerk to transcribe the money judgment from small claims to circuit court. There is a court fee for the transcription of judgments.

.

When a judgment has been paid a creditor must file a document called a Satisfaction with the court. Please refer to Post Judgment Process under Civil & Landlord-Tenant for information on satisfactions.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney