Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a C Corp that has 1000 shares. I'm setting up a

Hello,I have a C Corp...
Hello,I have a C Corp that has 1000 shares. I'm setting up a separate website company that will be owned by this C Corp. I want this website to have it's own shares of stock (maybe 100,000 shares) so I can issue shares for additional funding for this separate website project.What is the best way to set this up?Thanks.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/19/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive business law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: What you are trying to accomplish is quite simple. Set up the new corporation and issue a certain number of the 100,000 shares to your current corporation. I usually set up corporations to have 1,000,000 shares. Gives the business more shares to work with. You can then issue your current corporation 500,000 of the shares and have the remaining 500,000 to sell to investors.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

The website that I am setting up is going to be a subsidiary to the main C corp. So do I need to set up another c corp or can I set up a company as the subsidiary to the main c corp and issue 1,000,000 shares to the subsidiary? DO I have to contact the State for the shares? How do I go about setting up the subsidiary and then get shares to issue?Thanks.

A subsidiary is just a term for a legal entity (such as a corporation, LLC, partnership) that is owned by another legal entity. If you want to have a parent company relationship between the two entities, you would need to set form a second corporation and have the parent corporation own shares in the subsidiary corporation. This would require forming a new corporation with the secretary of state.

OK... so I can't set the Website up as a company and have it protected under the parent C Corp and issue shares, I will have to set up 2 c corps, one as the parent and one as the subsidiary?Thanks

That is correct.

Roy Hadavi

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.