Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a not for profit organization that trains service…

Customer Question
I have a not...

I have a not for profit organization that trains service dogs, in NL Canada. I met a lady from Ohio who has run a similar organization for 25 yrs. after speaking with her a few times she suggested she come to NL to train our volunteers and share her business and training model with us, as well as provide hands on training with out dogs and convrete tangible documents we could modify and use in our organization. She said she didn’t want any money for her time but asked that we reimburse her flight and accommodation costs for her and her husband to come, not only for us but for them to have a vacation as well. We kept it informal and there was no contract in place. When she arrived and started working with us, we quickly realized her training model was seriously outdated and she had misrepresented herself as an experienced psychiatric service dog trainer. She also did not provide any hands on training or deliver on the tangible materials we talked about. She sent an actual client application in an email and a 70 page handbook on training techniques she wrote 15 yrs ago, and admitted she didn’t really use all those techniques anymore. When I asked her if she would update it to include the techniques she does use, she said, that it would be fine for our purposes the way it was.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We haven’t reimbursed her at this point, and quick frankly, despite the time she did spend with us, which we cut short, I don’t feel she held up her end of the bargain and don’t feel she is entitled to the reimbursement. I also have no desire to work with her or have her attempt to provide what we did talk about the way I understood it would be delivered. My question is, do we have to reimburse her for her flights? What can she do if anything, if we don’t. Again there was no contract in place for this. It was an agreement during a conversation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Why would anything have been filed or reported?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so that pretty much sums it up

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2017
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If there is no written contract, then it would be difficult to prove the terms of the contract, that is the first consideration. Also, even if there was a contract, she would have been expected to provide current and usable information and you said she not only did not do so but she ultimately admitted she did not use the old techniques any longer.

So based on those two things, you can argue that she is not entitled to reimbursement since she failed to keep her end of the bargain and as such she was in breach. Also, even if she wanted to pursue you in court she would have to come back to NL to do so, which would cost her more than you allegedly owe her.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney