Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a notice received when filing the ss-4 confirming an…

Hi, I have a notice...
Hi, I have a notice received when filing the ss-4 confirming an EIN for our organization which we wish to file as tax exempt. We are not sure if a form 1023 has been filed or not - is there any way to check if this form was received and if tax exempt status is pending?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/18/2017
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello again. Damien here. I understand you want to know how to check the status of your 1023 application? If so, here is what I found for you:

If you submitted an application on Form 1023, you can expect to be contacted within 180 days from the date you submitted the application. After 180 days, if you haven't been contacted, you can call the toll-free Customer Account Services number, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (local time), at(###) ###-####to check on the status.

You will need the following information when calling:

• Your name
  • Your employer identification number (EIN)
  • A proper power of attorney submitted with your exemption application, unless you are an officer or director and legally authorized to represent the applicant

If this does not answer your question, or I misinterpreted it, let me know. If you have a following up question, you can let me know also.

Please see above for the information, if I did not answer what you wanted, please let me know. Best regards.

Thank you, ***** ***** question, apparently to qualify for tax exempt status we must have a CPA on our board at all times (or a maximum of 2 weeks of transition time). Is this the case and can you share a link to this info please? I’ve looked on IRS for some time.

I have never heard of that requirement. Have you seen that requirement on the IRS website?

A CPA suggested that depending on how we structure the entity (s/c corp, llc, etc.) certain positions will be required... Our EIN is 47-5161299 if that gives any clue?

You mention the CPR "suggested," that does not mean that the IRS requires it. Like I said, I never hear of something like that. The CPA you are speaking with would have to back up that contention with a reference to a rule of the IRS. As I said, I never heard of it. We can continue to discuss if you want to do so.

Ok, well that's good news and I will not push to do something I'm not required to do! Now, do you know where can I find a certified CPA to file all of the relevant tax forms (and 1023 if still not done etc.)?

Possibly your county has a CPA association where you can call to get some references. If you have anymore follow-up questions, just let me know. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Thank you. An unrelated question to understand - If an unrelated business income earns over the $500 threshold for 990-T filing but outgoings on that income, e.g. scholarship awards, are equal to total income; is a 990-T required?

You are welcome. This last question is beyond my knowledge area. It's more of an accounting question. I am not sure how to answer it.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney